Tuesday, March 17, 2020

What it's like being an autistic Catholic during the coronavirus pandemic


  For those of you that have been under a rock, there is a rather infectious disease going around called "Coronavirus".  It has nothing to do with beer, I promise.  I'm not going to give the history of it (google can help you on that one), but I am going to tell you how it affected me.  Since I mentioned that I am "autistic", I mean by that that I have a diagnosed autism spectrum disorder (in this case, what was then called Aspergers Syndrome, so, sometimes I refer to myself as an aspie).  And, if you know anything about autistic people, you know that we like routine.  So, when I got the email from my bishop saying Mass was cancelled, I broke down in tears.
Now, I completely understand WHY he did it, and it was to look after his flock.  A blemished lamb is not a worthy sacrifice, if you know your Old Testament.  What happened was that my routine was interrupted, and that was that.  I made a song about it before Mass was cancelled.  (https://youtu.be/iluU6jbDJnA). so there is that.  Anyway, thank goodness we have the good book.  Matthew 11:28-30 has been really helpful at the moment.























W

No comments:

Post a Comment