Monday, December 14, 2020

We need to talk about suicide

     For those that don't know, a priest who resided in my diocese, seems to have committed suicide. 

    Suicide, by the way, is one of the hardest things for me to talk about, right up there with my dad's death when I was nine.

    Now, I actually have a suicide in my family.  My maternal uncle (my mom's younger brother) killed himself.  

    And I have a history of self-harm.  

    Now, let's get this out of the way:  Do people who commit suicide go to hell?

    Maybe.  Here's what the catechism of the Catholic Church says about it: "

Grave psychological disturbances, anguish, or grave fear of hardship, suffering, or torture can diminish the responsibility of the one committing suicide."

       This is important to note, because it seems to be the case in this situation.

        He was taking medication to treat symptoms of COVID-19.  And one of the side effects is delusions.

         Y'all, pray for his soul.Litany of the faithful departed  

          For those of us on earth, remember these words:

            "Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted"-Matthew 5:4Matthew 5:4 RSVCE

        Repose en paix, mon père  Grief feels like fear

No comments:

Post a Comment