Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Penal substitution is not the biblical position



    Being someone who is fairly familiar with the Good Book, I can't, for the life of me, figure how where this idea of God punishing Jesus (who IS God) comes from.  And I don't mean the atheist fallacy of mistaking Christianity for modalism, I mean, why would God need to show his wrath on his Son?  This doesn't make sense.  

    Now, there is a sense in which Jesus was punished in our place (Isaiah 53:5, Colossians 2:14, amongst other verses), but this does not imply the wrathful, vengeful God of penal substitution, in fact, the Bible seems to imply the exact opposite (1 Corinthians 15:3, 17, 2 Corinthians 5:14, 13:4, 1 Peter 3:18).  I think those that hold to the penal substitution theory, are forgetting something very important.  

    Jesus took on our sins, not because God needed to enact vengeance, on, well, God, but because God LOVES us.  And I feel like this is the type of theology we get when we stop thinking of God as Father.  God is a loving father, not an abusive dad.  

    There is more that I can get into, but, you'll have to find more about it here: AdamCSC Rumble Channel

Or here, Adam Charles Hovey Podcast 

Please subscribe

As Quizup is (sadly) going under, and this is where I share most of these.  Please subscribe to my Rumble, because I am not going to stop writing these.  

Follow me on Parler: https://parler.com/profile/AdamCHovey/

MeWe: Adam Charles Hovey MeWe

Please, if you can, keep in contact. 



No comments:

Post a Comment