Thursday, June 25, 2020

Could we stop treating the Latin language like it's magic?

  "If only people received on the tongue", "If only people knelt at communion"  "If only Mass were in Latin".  I'm about to destroy some of your expectations, so hold on.  First of all, we're not sure if the Apostles received Our Lord in the Eucharist kneeling or in the hand, seriously Don't be leagalistic about how others receive Communion.  The truth is, that we just don't know (watch the video to find out more).  Now, there are other things that I think we should not be doing as Catholics, and that is somehow, thinking that Latin has some kind of holy power for being, well, Latin.  I've got news for y'all, but the devil doesn't flee from Latin.  The demons flee from holiness  The gospels were written in Greek, and Jesus preached in Aramaic.  Jesus was able to drive out demons, not because he spoke to them in Latin (which, by the way, he didn't), but, because he is the Son of God.  (Luke 8:26-38, Mark 5:1-20).  Nothing there about the Latin language being holy.  Now, I want you to understand what I'm not doing.  I am not denigrating its importance.  It was, in the west, the language of the learned, and the liturgical language for most of its (western) Christian history (although, not all of it).  .  I am not denigrating your preference for Latin Mass if you have one.  I am not denigrating your preference for receiving on the tongue.  I am not denigrating your preference for receiving communion whilst kneeling.
But the truth is, this is not universal. There is some evidence that receiving on the hand was communion in the early centuries of Christianity.  I'm not getting into that debate.
As for kneeling, well, in the east, you've never had to kneel whilst receiving communion.
Receiving in the hand doesn't happen, though.  Intinction makes that kind of difficult.
But why is it that some people denigrate the so-called Novus Ordo?
If people bothered READING what the Vatican documents say, a lot of the complaints they have aren't actually because of the council.  In fact, I'll get you started with that.
DOCUMENTS OF THE SECOND VATICAN COUNCIL.
It wasn't me typing in call caps, it was the Vatican website.  That said, I do hope the text jumped out at you.
I do want to point out, I actually AGREE with many of the grievances that the more "traditionalists" sorts have a problem with.  Spineless bishops (though, I refuse to criticise individual bishops), poor catechesis, and an odd willingness for our bishops to jump on the most popular Social Justice Warrior bandwagon of the day (again, Social Justice is a teaching of the Church, that's not my complaint)
Beware of Social Justice Warrior preachers
I think it may be, because here in the United States, most people associate Catholics with Latin Catholics (or, as they mistakenly call us "Roman" Catholic).   So, if Catholic=Roman, Catholics should use Latin.  But that's not true.  First of all, modern Latin is a wide range of different languages.  I took French for two semesters in college, I know.    Maronites are Catholic, why would they use Latin?  Wouldn't it make more sense for them to use Arabic or Syriac?  Lebanon, the country from which most of them come from, speaks Arabic, and they use a variation of the West Syriac rite.  Or Melkites, another group from the Middle East.  They mainly speak Arabic, and are historically Byzantine.  So, wouldn't Greek and Arabic make more sense for them?
This is what bothers me.
When we hold Latin in such high esteem, we are forgetting about the hundreds of millions of Christians that have never used it.  It's not that it isn't important (it totally is), but so are Syriac, Greek, Coptic, and Old Church Slavonic, amongst others.
And this has me worried.
One thing I think that Pope Francis is right about is his relationship with the Eastern Orthodox.  Francis has experience with Eastern Catholicism in his home country of Argentina, and has taken great strides to be ecumenical with Patriarch Bartholomew.   THAT is a step in the right direction.  And if we keep making this argument that Latin is the best thing since sliced bread (which, to be fair, Latin is much older than, little aside, sliced bread was invented in the city I was born, Davenport, Iowa, although, it was not quite popular until the 1920s, YAY TRIVIA), we have no chance of reunion.  The schism WILL end in my lifetime (for the record, I am 32), but if we keep having this weird obsession with Latin, how are we going to have reunion?  The answer: we won't.


No comments:

Post a Comment