Tuesday, June 9, 2020

The problem with Calvinism

Christ died for all people.  Not just the elect, EVERYONE.  "For God so loved the world", begins one of the most well-known Bible verses, "that whoever believes in him, should not perish, but have eternal life".  The WORLD, includes everyone, not just "The Elect", which, by the way, are not automatically saved anyway (Matthew 24:24).  If God's atonement is limited, it would not be a saving act.  John 4:42 says, that Jesus is the Saviour of the world.  How in the world can he be the Saviour of the world but die only for the elect?  Or, the absurdity of resistible grace.  One cannot hold this position, and truly believe in the Bible, for the Bible says, "You always resist the Holy Spirit".  Grace isn't irresistible.  Which, an aside, every time I talk about Calvinism, I am reminded of the song. Simply Irresistible" by Robert Palmer.  I know that people criticised Billy Graham (the preacher, not the wrestler) when I was growing up, because he said you *gasp* had to make a choice for Christ.  The problem, I guess, I am having, is that the verses that Calvinists use to "prove" their position don't say what they want them to say.  That's not to say that I don't think they are partially correct.  Part of being Catholic is recognising that Protestants do indeed share a common Christian faith with us by virtue of Baptism.  If you would like to know more about the Catholic view on this topic, James Akin (he now usually goes by Jimmy) write an article about it many years ago.  A Tiptoe Through TULIP
And I'm not going to lie, I heavily used him as a source.  But one verse, that I think refutes Calvinism entirely, is this one, 1 Timothy 2:4.  Go look it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment