Sunday, June 28, 2020

Christian leaders and rash judgement

  Being someone of acknowledged mixed racial/ethnic background, I am finding that some of our Christian leaders are starting to support Black Lives Matters.  I can (and do) agree with the statement.  Although, when their supporters say that you're magically a racist because you don't support them, because you dare say something like "All lives matter", ALL lives matter isn't racist, it's BIBLICAL
And I feel like that's what is missing.  When I see my bishops marching, or openly supporting a group like Black Lives Matters, it scares me, because the inference I am getting from BLM, is that being White somehow makes you a racist.  Let me give you a history lesson.  My great grandmother was born in Georgia, but her dad was born Indian Territory, he somehow ended up in Pennsylvania.  My guess is, that he went to Indian school.  My grandma and my great grandma knew him by his Indian name, but we can find very little about him (the paper records don't match the DNA records, his death certificate says he was born in Pennsylvania, but WITHOUT exception, all available census records say he was born in Indian Territory/Oklahoma, but, they're inconsistent with his Indian name).  My great grandmother's first husband (my great grandfather) was a mixed blood, and my dad was of Métis descent.  I also have some Roma ancestry (Sinti and Romanichal), and somewhere, mom is part black.  I agree that there is some systematic racism, but I feel like some of the things folks are calling racist simply aren't.  I agree that Christian leaders (in my case, bishops), have authority given by God (Matthew 16:13-19, Matthew 18:15-20).  This cop in Atlanta that shot a guy.  The dude was extremely drunk, hand an arrest record, stole the guy's taser, and physically fought the cop.  Yet, we're supposed to believe it was an act of racism.  I'm sorry, why?  Or the dude up in Minneapolis.  An abuse of power, certainly, but I have seen no evidence it was racist.  I think people are judging by appearance alone, just as in the case of the Covington Catholic kid.  Nathan Phillips, Judging by appearance alone
I think it would be wise if our Christian leaders found out what BLM (the group that uses the manipulative name, not the phrase itself), believes, before tacitly supporting them. 
The jogger that was killed, yeah, that was racist.  But it wasn't by cops.  You know who the racists are?  The people who assume disagreeing with them is racist.  I don't know about our Christian leaders, but as for me, I will not bow

No comments:

Post a Comment